Quick Guide - Creating a Text Only Holistic Rubric
Before you start creating rubrics within MyCourses, you might want to review the information on Writing Effective Rubrics page. It is also important to not create your rubric until you have it mapped out with the levels, criteria, and descriptions written out. Using Word is the best tool to complete this task. It is much easier mapping out your rubric than trying to create it from scratch within MyCourses.
This tutorial will show you how to create a text only holistic rubric. A text only holistic rubric presents a description of each level of achievement. Text only rubrics cannot be used to score student's work. It is used for informational purposes only.
Creating a Text Only Holistic Rubric (2:46)
- Click the Edit Course Tab on the Navbar.
- Click on Rubrics.
- Remember that you should have your Rubric mapped out completely before you get to this stage.
- Click New Rubric.
- Enter a Name.
- Select a Rubric Status from the drop-down list. NOTE - Keep the Status as Draft as you create the rubric.
- Select "Holistic" from the Rubric Type drop-down list.
- Select how many achievement levels you want the rubric to have in the Initial # of Levels field. NOTE - Remember to use your completed mapped out rubric as your reference.
- Select Text Only from the Scoring Method drop-down list.
- Click the Levels tab.
- Click Edit Levels.
- Enter a Level Name.
- Enter a Description of what is required to achieve the level for each criterion. NOTE - Remember to use your completed mapped out rubric as your reference.
- Enter a standard Feedback for each level. Standard feedback appears to users who achieve the level, and it is an easy way to communicate a rubric's evaluation methodology.
- Repeat Steps 11-15 for each criterion.
- Click Save.
- Click Close when you are done.