Quick Guide - Creating a Text Only Holistic Rubric
Before you start creating rubrics within MyCourses, you might want to review the information on Writing Effective Rubrics page. It is also important to not create your rubric until you have it mapped out with the levels, criteria, and descriptions written out. Using Word is the best tool to complete this task. It is much easier mapping out your rubric than trying to create it from scratch within MyCourses.
This tutorial will show you how to create a text only holistic rubric. A text only holistic rubric presents a description of each level of achievement. Text only rubrics cannot be used to score student's work. It is used for informational purposes only.
- Click the Edit Course Tab on the Navbar.
- Click on Rubrics. Remember that you should have your Rubric mapped out completely before you get to this stage.
- Click New Rubric.
- Enter a Name.
- Select a Rubric Status from the drop-down list. NOTE - Keep the Status as Draft as you create the rubric.
- From the Type drop-down list, click on the dropdown arrow and select Holistic.
- From the Scoring Type drop-down list, click on the dropdown arrow and select No Score.
- Select how many achievement levels you want the rubric to have. It will default at 4, to add more click on the plus sign to the right or the left of the levels depending on where you would like them added. NOTE - Remember to use your completed mapped out rubric as your reference.
- Enter the name of each level assessment (ex. Excellent - Poor) by clicking in the boxes.
- Enter a description for each level and criterion by clicking in the boxes.
- Enter a standard Feedback for each level. Standard feedback appears to users who achieve the level, and it is an easy way to communicate a rubric's evaluation methodology.
- The level order is from high to low by default. If you would like to change that order, click on the Reverse Level Order above the rubric table.
- Click Close when you are done.